Hint: For best results we recommend using either the ZenMatcha ‘drinking’ or ‘mixing’ matcha when preparing matcha green tea ice cream.
Please check out our shopping cart for more information.
Green Tea Ice Cream
* 2 egg yolks
* 2-4 tbsp sugar
* 200ml heavy cream
* 1-2 tbsp matcha
* 2 tbsp hot water
* 50ml water
Lightly whisk egg yolks in a pan.
Add water and sugar in the pan and mix well.
Put the pan on low heat and heat the mixture, stirring constantly.
When the mixture is thicken, remove from the heat.
Mix hot water and mattya green tea powder together.
Add the green tea in the egg mixture and mix well, cooling in ice water.
Add (80% completely) whipped heavy cream in the mixture and mix well.
Freeze the mixture. ( Every 1-2 hours, whisk the mixture. – a few times)
Matcha White Chocolate Ice Cream
Adapted from Kuidaore
Makes about 1 litre
* 1 Ω cups heavy cream
* 1 Ω cups milk
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1/8 teaspoon fine salt
* 4 large egg yolks
* 8 oz white chocolate, finely chopped
* 2 tablespoons matcha powder, sifted
Equipment: Ice cream maker + frozen insert, strainer (chinoise)
1. In a medium heavy saucepan, bring the cream, milk, sugar and salt to a simmer over low heat, stirring constantly.
2. While whisking eggs, pour about 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture in a thin, steady stream in the bowl of eggs. This should temper the eggs. Now pour the tempered eggs in the rest of the saucepan with the hot cream mixture, in a thin, steady stream while whisking the hot cream.
3. Cook over low heat, constantly stirring, just until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Do not let this mixture boil. Pour this mixture through a strainer.
4. Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 2 1/2 minutes, stirring at 30 second intervals until chocolate is melted. Add the matcha powder to the chocolate and stir vigorously with whisk to mix well. Add this to the strained hot cream and stir to blend. Cool this mixture and refrigerate until chilled.
5. Freeze according to the instructions for your ice cream machine.